Golegã is a small agricultural town located 31 kilometers from Santarem in the Ribatejo region. Its total area is 76,6 km and it has a population of 5,629 inhabitants. The center of Golegã is situated around a nice church, which was built at the beginning of 16th century in “Manueline“, which is a late Portuguese gothic style. The interior of this church there is remarkable main portal. In the museum, which is not far from church, there is an exposition devoted to Carlos Relvas (1838 – 1894), one of the most famous Portuguese photographers. Near the city is Quinta da Cardiga, a manor house from 12th century that was donated by Knights Templar. The original face of the building was rebuilt in 16th century in Renaissance style.
Golegã is considered to be a “capital of horses“and equestrian activities in Portugal. Within the neighborhood there are many horsemen, who have been settled here since 18th century. Two fairs take place every November in Golegã: The Feira Nacional do Cavalo (National Horse Fair) and the Feira Internacional do Cavalo Lusitano, dedicated to the Lusitano horse. Both festivities attract thousands of visitors from the entire world. During the two weeks that the festivals are taking place, you can become acquainted with traditional Portuguese village life and buy tasty local wines.
Pardubice cooperates with Golegã thanks to the association EURO EQUUS, a European network of horse cities.